Postdoctoral Scholar – ASEAN Research Center
DETAILS OF POSITION
The ASEAN Research Center (ARC), endowed by Maybank and housed at the Asia School of Business (ASB) in collaboration with MIT Sloan School of Management, aims to be the center of intellectual activity in Southeast Asia by conducting impactful research on topics surrounding emerging markets in the ASEAN region. We conduct rigorous and impactful research to inform policymaking and improve the lives of ASEAN citizens. Our current projects include understanding COVID19’s impact on the roadside economy in Malaysia and vaccine hesitancy in Malaysia, with ambitions to expand our research areas to the wider ASEAN region.
This will be the first year that we are launching our postdoctoral program. The theme for this year’s postdoctoral program will build on ASB’s existing research strengths on small businesses and small traders, which includes the roadside economy. We would like to invite research proposals from postdoctoral scholars in this area, specifically focused on small businesses in ASEAN, and especially addressing areas of policies that improve lives of ASEAN citizens. The proposal must revolve around making significant novel academic contributions, grounded in a rigorous application of research tools and methodologies. Multidisciplinary proposals related to the theme will be considered, and there will be no restriction on the type of research conducted (quantitative, qualitative, or otherwise), or field. The postdoctoral scholar will have access to research support and assistance and will be able to tap into ASB’s vibrant research resources. The postdoctoral scholar should view the full list of ASB faculty expertise on the ASB website to get an idea of the types of topics that the faculty is able to advise on.
The postdoctoral scholar is also expected to play an active part of the research activities of the ASEAN Research Center and ASB as a whole. This includes assisting in the flagship research project of the ASEAN Research Center and other research projects around the focus area of the research center. As a newly established research center, the scholar is also expected to also assist in building the foundation of the research center for the future. We are especially keen on looking for candidates from the ASEAN region or those keen on returning to the region, to expand research and build research capacity especially keen on looking for candidates from the ASEAN region or those keen on returning to the region, to expand research and build research capacity in the ASEAN region.
The Asia School of Business is a collaboration between Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) and MIT Sloan School of Management. The establishment of this world class graduate business school in Kuala Lumpur offers both degree and non-degree programs to serve the needs of Malaysia, ASEAN, South Asia, China, and parts of the Middle East and Africa, and contribute to the advancement of the emerging world. ASB was formed in 2015.
DURATION OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract of 12 months, from August 2022 or earlier if mutually agreed upon.
The postdoctoral scholar for the projects will play the following role:
- Perform independent research to expand the research capacity and intellectual contribution of ASEAN Research Center and Asia School of Business as a whole.
- Actively participating in the research activities of the research center – including flagship research projects, faculty and external research seminars, etc.
- Assisting in various activities of the research center, including presentations and hosting seminars.
- To assist in building the foundation of the research center for the future.
Qualification & Skills
The ideal candidate is able to perform independent research, while willing to participate in building the foundation and setting the future of the research center.
- Graduated with a PhD in economics, sociology, political science, finance, management and other related fields within the last 3 years. Current PhD candidates who will graduate by the estimated start of contract are also welcomed to apply.
- Demonstrated experience in working on issues related to the ASEAN region.
- Good command of English.
- Proactive and able to work dynamically in a team.
- Willing to travel if required by research projects.
- Willing to assist in research center activities, including hosting seminars and building the foundation for the research center.
All applicants should provide a cover letter, a CV, 1 writing sample, a list of 3 recommenders who are willing to be contacted for a reference, and a 3 to 4 page proposal for a project relating to the theme of “Small businesses in ASEAN” to the ASEAN Research Center. The cover letter must state the candidate’s background as relevant to the proposal very clearly, as well as outline how they expect to contribute to the research center.