International Faculty Fellow and Research Affiliate, MIT Sloan School of Management
Area of Expertise:
Service marketing, customer experience management
Sylvia’s academic research focuses on customer experience management in the area of service marketing; including advancing frontline capabilities, customer value cocreation, customer engagement, service design and innovation. Her work is multidisciplinary in nature and she employs a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods. Notably, her paper titled “Professional Service Providers’ Resource Integration Styles (PRO-RIS): Facilitating Customer Experiences”, identifies five service provider styles and a typology of eight activity dimensions related to each style. Her subsequent paper, “Managing Customer Resource Endowments and Deficiencies for Value Cocreation”, is a follow up study that identifies constellations of customer resource endowments and deficiencies associated with each service provider style (PRO-RIS). These insights offer unique opportunities for companies to support and enhance value cocreation efforts with their customers.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Ng, Sylvia C., Jillian C. Sweeney and Carolin Plewa (2020), “Customer Engagement: A Systematic Review and Future Research Priorities,” Australasian Marketing Journal, forthcoming. [Invited paper] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ausmj.2020.05.004 – open access
- Ng, Sylvia C., Jillian C. Sweeney and Carolin Plewa (2019), “Managing Customer Resource Endowments and Deficiencies for Value Cocreation: Complex Relational Services,” Journal of Service Research, 22 (2), 156-172. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670518812195
- Ng, Sylvia C., Carolin Plewa and Jillian C. Sweeney (2016), “Professional Service Providers’ Resource Integration Styles (PRO-RIS): Facilitating Customer Experiences,” Journal of Service Research, 19 (4), 380-395. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1177/1094670516662351
Invited Book Chapters
- Ng, Sylvia C., Carolin Plewa and Jillian C. Sweeney (2016), “Customer Engagement with a Service Offering: A Framework for Complex Services,” in Customer Engagement: Contemporary Issues and Challenges. Roderick J. Brodie, Linda Hollebeek and Jodie Conduit (eds), Taylor & Francis, UK: Routledge p. 193-210.
Refereed Conference Publications
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=_M-z64sAAAAJ&hl=en
- ASB Research Seminar Series, “Professional Service Providers’ Resource Integration Styles (PRO-RIS): Facilitating Customer Experiences”, Asia School of Business, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, March 14, 2018.
- UWA Marketing Seminar Series, “Service Employees’ Resource Integration Styles (SERIS): Facilitating Customer Experiences”, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, July 29, 2015.
- Customer Engagement and Interactivity Workshop, “Conceptualising Customer Engagement Styles in a Complex Service”, Co-hosted by The University of Adelaide Business School and The University of Auckland Business School, Adelaide, Australia, July 10-11, 2014.
- Fundamentals of Services Marketing, Instructor
- Service Experience and Design, Part 1 and 2
- Designing Customer Surveys, Part 1 and 2
- Identifying Customer Needs: A Qualitative Perspective
- Qualitative Research for Working Professionals
- Journal of Service Research, Ad-hoc Reviewer