International Faculty Fellow and Research Affiliate at MIT
Area of Expertise:
Service marketing and customer experience management
Sylvia’s academic research focuses on service marketing and customer experience management, including customer-firm interactions, customer engagement, value co-creation and resource integration processes. Her work is multidisciplinary in nature and she employs a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods. Notably, her article in the Journal of Service Research (Vol 19, No. 4, 2016) identifies five service provider styles (PRO-RIS) based on eight activity dimensions that facilitate customer value creation. Her subsequent paper in the same journal (Vol 22, No. 2, 2019) explores constellations of customer resource endowments and deficiencies in relation to these service provider styles – the insights provide unique opportunities for organizations to tailor support to customers’ resources and enhance value cocreation efforts.
- Ng, Sylvia C., Jillian C. Sweeney and Carolin Plewa (2019), “Managing Customer Resource Endowments and Deficiencies for Value Cocreation: Complex Relational Services,” Journal of Service Research, 22 (2), 156-172. [Ranked A*] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670518812195
- Ng, Sylvia C., Carolin Plewa and Jillian C. Sweeney (2016), “Professional Service Providers’ Resource Integration Styles (PRO-RIS): Facilitating Customer Experiences,” Journal of Service Research, 19 (4), 380-395. [Ranked A*] DOI: http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1177/1094670516662351
Invited Book Chapters
- Ng, Sylvia C., Carolin Plewa and Jillian C. Sweeney (2016), “Customer Engagement with a Service Offering: A Framework for Complex Services,” in Customer Engagement: Contemporary Issues and Challenges. Roderick J. Brodie, Linda Hollebeek and Jodie Conduit (eds), Taylor & Francis, UK: Routledge p. 193-210.
Refereed Conference Publications
- ASB Research Seminar Series, “Professional Service Providers’ Resource Integration Styles (PRO-RIS): Facilitating Customer Experiences”, Asia School of Business, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, March 14, 2018.
- UWA Marketing Seminar Series, “Service Employees’ Resource Integration Styles (SERIS): Facilitating Customer Experiences”, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, July 29, 2015.
- Customer Engagement and Interactivity Workshop, “Conceptualising Customer Engagement Styles in a Complex Service”, Co-hosted by The University of Adelaide Business School and The University of Auckland Business School, Adelaide, Australia, July 10-11, 2014.
- Identifying Customer Needs: A Qualitative Perspective (Spring 2019)