Dr. Debabrata Ghosh
Associate Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management
Debabrata Ghosh is an Associate Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management at the Asia School of Business. Prior to that, he held faculty positions at the Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation – MIT SCALE Network where he was the Director of supply chain short courses and executive education, and the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, India.
His research interests lie in the areas of Green Supply Chains, Sustainable Operations, Emerging Economy issues, Remanufacturing Models, Applications of Analytics in Supply Chains and Service Operations. His papers have appeared in the European Journal of Operational Research, Transportation Research Part E, International Journal of Production Economics, International Journal of Production Research, Annals of Operations Research, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, among others. Besides this, he has co-authored cases and managerial articles at Ivey Publishing, Emerald Emerging Markets and Supply Chain Management Review.
His teaching interests involve courses on operations management, operations research, logistics and supply chain management, green supply chain management, pricing and revenue management and analytical methods in operations. He regularly conducts executive education on strategic supply chain management, business analytics, sustainable supply chain management and supply chain resilience.
He holds a Ph.D.(FPM) from the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore where he was the Airbus scholarship recipient. Prior to joining academics, he worked with Infosys consulting and Tata Consultancy Services, where he worked with global retail and consumer good companies in the Asia Pacific, Middle East, UK and the U.S.
- Avittathur, Balram, and Debabrata Ghosh. Excellence in Supply Chain Management. Routledge, 2020. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429026874
- Awasthy, Prakash, Sirish Gouda, Debabrata Ghosh and Sanjeev Swami. “Analyzing Product Greening Spillovers in Multi-Product Markets.” Transportation Research Part E (Accepted and Forthcoming)
- Ghosh, Debabrata, Tatavarty Guru Sant, Mithu Rani Kuiti, Sanjeev Swami, and Ravi Shankar. “Strategic decisions, competition and cost-sharing contract under industry 4.0 and environmental considerations.” Resources, Conservation and Recycling 162 (2020): 105057.
- Ghosh, Debabrata, Janat Shah, and Sanjeev Swami. “Product greening and pricing strategies of firms under green sensitive consumer demand and environmental regulations.” Annals of Operations Research 290, 1 (2020): 491-520.
- Kuiti, Mithu Rani, Debabrata Ghosh, Preetam Basu, and Arnab Bisi. “Do cap-and-trade policies drive environmental and social goals in supply chains: Strategic decisions, collaboration, and contract choices.” International Journal of Production Economics 223 (2020): 107537.
- Tunuguntla, Vaishnavi, Preetam Basu, Krishanu Rakshit, and Debabrata Ghosh. “Sponsored search advertising and dynamic pricing for perishable products under inventory-linked customer willingness to pay.” European Journal of Operational Research 276, no. 1 (2019): 119-132.
- Ramani, Vinay, Sanjeev Swami, and Debabrata Ghosh. “Price premium effect, supply contracts and strategic decision making under environmental considerations.” Benchmarking: An International Journal (2019).
- Ghosh, Debabrata, Peeyush Mehta, and Balram Avittathur. “Supply chain capabilities and competitiveness of high-tech manufacturing start-ups in India.” Benchmarking: An International Journal (2019)
- Kuiti, Mithu Rani, Debabrata Ghosh, Sirish Gouda, Sanjeev Swami, and Ravi Shankar. “Integrated product design, shelf-space allocation and transportation decisions in green supply chains.” International Journal of Production Research 57, no. 19 (2019): 6181-6201.
- Ghosh, Debabrata, Sirish Gouda, Ravi Shankar, Sanjeev Swami, and Vinu Cheruvil Thomas. “Strategic decision making under subscription-based contracts for remanufacturing.” International Journal of Production Economics 200 (2018): 134-150.
- Chandra, Saurabh, Debabrata Ghosh, and Samir K. Srivastava. “Outbound logistics management practices in the automotive industry: an emerging economy perspective.” Decision 43, no. 2 (2016): 145-165.
- Ghosh, Debabrata, and Janat Shah. “Supply chain analysis under green sensitive consumer demand and cost sharing contract.” International Journal of Production Economics 164 (2015): 319-329.
- Ghosh, Debabrata, and Janat Shah. “A comparative analysis of greening policies across supply chain structures.” International Journal of Production Economics 135, no. 2 (2012): 568-583.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Sanjeev Swami, Ebha Garg, Debabrata Ghosh and Charu Swami (2019). “Corporate Social Responsibility in Supply Chains” In: Hashmi S. and Choudhury I. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials. Elsevier https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-803581-8.10890-2
- Sanjeev Swami, Debabrata Ghosh and Charu Swami (2019). “Sustainability Indicators in Supply Chains” In: Hashmi S. and Choudhury I. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials. Elsevier https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-803581-8.10880-X
- Debabrata Ghosh, Sirish Gouda and Prakash Awasthy (2018). “What Drives Firms towards Green Initiatives? – An Emerging Economy Perspective” In: Chakraborty A., Kumar Gouda S., Gajanand M. (eds.) Sustainable Operations in India. Managing the Asian Century. Springer, Singapore.
- Debabrata Ghosh. (2016). “Sustainable Supply Chain Management” In: Shah, J.
Supply chain management: Text and Cases. 2/e., New Delhi, Pearson Education India
- Debabrata Ghosh, Sirish Gouda and Janat Shah. (2016). “Green Supply Chain Initiatives:
The India Perspective” In: Handbook of Research on Global Supply Chain Management. ed. Bryan Christiansen (PryMarke, LLC, USA), 1: 240 – 247. PryMarke, LLC, USA: IGI Global.
- Janat Shah and Debabrata Ghosh. (2011). “Decoding Supply Chain Leadership in India“. In: Haksöz, Çağrı, Sridhar Seshadri, and Ananth V. Iyer, eds. Managing Supply Chains on the Silk Road: Strategy, performance, and risk. CRC Press.
Policy Articles and Cases
- Sirish Gouda, Debabrata Ghosh (2020) “Drafting a Sustainability Agenda During Covid-19”, Supply Chain Brain, July 8.
- Sirish Gouda, Sanjeev Swami and Debabrata Ghosh (2019) “Upcycling can take Sustainable Supply Chains beyond Recycling”, Supply Chain Management Review, May/June, 6-7.
- Saurabh Chandra, Debabrata Ghosh and Sandeep Nimje (2018) “Roadblocks to Sustainable Logistics in India’s Auto Industry”, Supply Chain Management Review, December, 23-27.
- Debabrata Ghosh, Peeyush Mehta, Balram Avittathur and Uttam Sarkar (2018) “Unlocking the potential of India’s high-tech start-ups”, Supply Chain Management Review, March/April, 8-10.
- Devi Vijay and Debabrata Ghosh. (2018) “The Sabar Shouchagar Project (Toilets for Everyone): Making Nadia District the First Open Defecation Free District in India”, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 8(1), 1-25.
- Ritu Mehta and Debabrata Ghosh, (2015) “Optima Business Group: Leveraging Information Technology for Salesforce Enablement”, IVEY Publishing (9B15A021), pages 11.
- Janat Shah and Debabrata Ghosh, (2010) “Business strategy drives supply chains”. Economic Times.
- ‘Analyzing the Impact of Social Capital on Firms and Supply chains’, POMS India International Conference, S.P. Jain Institute of Management & Research Mumbai, 2021.
- ‘Analyzing the Impact of Social Capital on Firms and Supply chains’, 51st Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference, 2020.
- ‘Evaluation of Differing Environmental Policies on Manufacturer’s Strategic Decisions’, 51st Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference, 2020.
- ‘Supply Chain Competitiveness of High-Tech Manufacturing in India’, Workshop on Emerging Trends in Advanced Manufacturing, IIT Madras, 2020.
- ‘Evaluation of Different Environmental Policies on Manufacturer’s Strategic Decisions’, XXIII Annual International Conference of the Society of Operations Management, IIT Kanpur, 2019.
- ‘Do Carbon Emissions Cap Drive Environmental Goals in Supply Chains? Strategic Decisions, Contract Choices, and Lessons’, POMS 2019 International Conference, Brighton UK, 2019.
- ‘Challenges and Opportunities for High-Tech Manufacturing Firms’ Growth – The Case of Start-ups in India’, 12th ISDSI International Conference, SPJIMR, India, 2018.
- ‘Green Supply Chain Analysis and Coordination Considering Package Size, Transportation and Shelf Space Allocation Decisions’. POMS 2018 International Conference, Sri Lanka, 2018.
- ‘Designing supply contracts: When “going green” and CSR come together’. POMS 2018 International Conference, Sri Lanka, 2018.
- ‘Understanding Blockchain’ Blockchain Conference: Blockchain Explained and Practical Applications, Malaysia Institute for Supply Chain Innovation, Malaysia, 2018.
- ‘Analyzing the strategic decisions of an OEM and remanufacturer under competition and contracts.’ 11th Indian Subcontinent Decision Sciences Institute (ISDSI) International Conference, Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Tiruchirappalli, India, 2017.
- ‘Product Greening and Competition under Government Regulations.’ 27th European Conference on Operational Research, University of Strathclyde, Glasglow, 2015.
- ‘Product Greening, Competition and Fixed Fee Contract Analysis under Environmental Regulations.’ XVIIIth Annual International Conference of the Society of Operations Management, IIT Roorkee, 2014.
- ‘Product Greening, Competition and Coordination under Government Regulations. Biennial Supply Chain Management Conference,’ IIM Bangalore, 2011.
- ‘Analyzing the pricing and greening decisions of green supply chain players.’ 14th SOM Conference, NITIE, 2010 (Awarded the best conference paper for consecutively second year.)
- ‘Channel Analysis in a Serial Supply Chain with Product Greening.’ 21st POMS Conference, Vancouver, 2010.
- Attended Business Research Workshop aimed at introducing current business research areas and methodologies across functional areas such as OM, ISB, Hyderabad, 2010.
- ‘Determining the Economics of Remanufacturing using Non-Linear Cost Functions.’ 13th Annual Society of Operations Management (SOM) Conference, IIT Madras, 2009. (Awarded the best paper at the conference).
- Summer Research Workshop in OM. Society of Operations Management & National Science Foundation USA, IIM Bangalore, 22nd June -10th July, 2009.
- ‘A framework for Supply Chain Risk Management: Implications for Research & Practice.’ IMR Conference: Global Supply Chain Management: Role of Emerging Economies, IIM Bangalore, 2008.