Following the launch of BNM’s Policy Document on Risk Management in Technology (RMiT) in July 2019 which took effect on 1 January 2020, the boards of financial institutions have gained a heightened focus on the oversight of IT risks. The acceleration of digital innovation and transformation as well as the unprecedented spike in the volume of transactions due to the Covid-19 pandemic have presented new challenges on both the operations and strategic fronts. What do directors need to know about the emerging risk of digitalization? How can boards provide leadership and oversight of this risk in such a way as to stay ahead of the curve?
This program will take on a format where a 5-member panel will share their insights. The panel is made up of 4 non-executive directors currently serving on bank boards plus a technology consultant who has been involved in assisting financial institutions in their digital transformation. The focus of the discussion will be on various strategic and IT risk issues that will require board deliberations and decisions.
The panelists will share their experiences, lessons learnt, pitfalls to avoid and provide insights and case studies as it relates to IT risk in the digital transformation of financial institutions and the implementation of the RMiT Policy since it came into effect.
Recognizing that financial institutions are at different stages of maturity in their digitalization journey, the discussion will focus on how financial institutions can move beyond compliance to investing in system resiliency, cybersecurity management, cloud computing and innovation (through data analytics, AI and IoT). A financial institution that is able to ride the path of digital transformation successfully stands to gain a strong competitive edge over its peers. Technology is more than an enabler today, it has become a strategy.
The panel discussion will be moderated by Philip Tan Puay Koon, Chairman of the Board Risk Management Committee of Citibank Berhad. Other distinguished panelists are:
- Chong Chye Neo, Chairman of the Technology and Cybersecurity board committees of Bursa Malaysia and Hong Leong Financial Group.
- Marzida binti Mohd Noor, Chairperson of the Group Board Information Technology Committee of Affin Bank Group.
- Kamarulzaman bin Ahmad, Chairman of the Board Information Technology Oversight Committee of MBSB Bank Berhad and Head of Corporate Ventures for Tenaga Nasional Berhad.
- Jason Yuen, Technology Consulting Partner at Ernst & Young Consulting Sdn Bhd.
A time for Q&A has been allocated as part of the program. Participants are encouraged to submit their questions on the topics in advance.
Who should attend?
- Directors of banks and insurance companies
- Board risk management committees of financial institutions
This program will be conducted via hybrid mode.