This session explores the different issues which may arise in a real board. What are those issues and how do we deal with them?
- A dominant Chairman who causes fear among board members
- A dominant CEO who chooses what to report to the board and what to keep away from the board
- Independent directors who are trophy board members – highly ranked or important people in society but never read board papers
- Board members who are from overseas but never attend meetings in person
- How to recognize the different dynamics in the boardroom?
- How to speak truth to power?
- Dealing with the gorilla in the room
Nabil El-Hage is founder and CEO of AEE International LLC, dba Academy of Executive Education (“AEE”), a company he founded after serving nearly 10 years on the faculty of Harvard Business School (HBS) where he served as Professor of Management Practice and as Senior Associate Dean for External Relations. At HBS, he taught courses in corporate finance, private equity, corporate governance, and real estate. Nabil has also been appointed Professor of Practice at Asia School of Business in collaboration with MIT, where he teaches Corporate Finance as well as Ethics & Corporate Accountability. Nabil is also a seasoned executive, having been CEO of a Private Equity-backed company for nearly a decade and CFO of two public companies. He currently serves on four boards of directors and two Boards of Advisors, including a property & casualty insurance company and a life insurance company-affiliated $50-billion mutual fund complex.
CEO, AEE International LLC.
Professor of Practice, Asia School of Business
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Corporate Governance, Corporate Finance,
Chairman, Directors, CEOs, C-Suite.